The Lasker Rose Garden, Magdalen College, Oxford
Landscape Architect: Sylvia Crowe. Completed: 1953
Photographs © Hal Moggridge, 2018
Description: The garden was designed to commemorate the development of penicillin as an antibiotic in Oxford during the 1940s. The American donor for the research, Mary Lasker, stipulated that it should be for a rose garden. [Listed in Historic England’s Register of Parks & Gardens]
MERL (University of Reading) holds the most significant collection of 20th Century landscape archives held in the UK. Want to learn more? Go to the MERL website: Discovering the Landscape: How to use our collections in your research
MERL's 'Discovering the Landscape' series began in November 2013 after the Landscape Institute's library and archive were deposited in Reading's Special Collections in October of the same year. Topics range widely but all link the subject with some aspect of the collections held at MERL. So, in August 2017: 'No longer Such a New Town: Milton Keynes at 50' or in July 2016 'From London Traffic to an Italian Prisoner of War Camp' based around the discovery of a 1940s stamp in a book on town planning gifted to the Institute (then Institute of Landscape Architects or ILA) by landscape architect, Maria Parpagliolo Shephard.
Landscape architecture pioneers are also featured in these series. Search on MERL's website for the full list. Here is the link to one blog, on landscape pioneer, Sylvia Crowe:
Discovering the Landscape: Sylvia Crowe
The Landscape Institute (LI) has introduced a new award category for 2018, named in honour of Dame Sylvia Crowe (1901-1997). See LI website for details. Crowe is a Past President of the ILA (now LI) and a founder member of the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA). And she is one of only four women LI presidents of the Institute since its founding in 1929. Crowe was the second female President in the 1950s, following on from the first woman president Brenda Colvin (1897-1981). Only in the noughties were two further women elected to this honorary position: Kathryn Moore in 2004 and Sue Illman in 2012.
Want to learn more about the LI Institute collections at MERL? Go this MERL page